Monday, July 14, 2014

Rowallane Gardens

Last week George and I took a trip to Rowallane Gardens in Saintfield, County Down.  I had rung my mum to see if she wanted to come with us but it turned out she was already there with her friend Oonagh doing some painting in the walled garden! What are the chances?

Anyway it was a cloudy but pretty warm day so perfect for walking about all the different areas of the garden.  It's a National Trust property but the house isn't open for house tours, I think it's actually used by the trust for their headquarters.  However there is a lovely shop and a tasty cafe inside the house as well.  The main attraction here is definitely the amazing gardens....



A lovely bench in the walled garden, you can just imagine the ladies in their long dresses taking a stroll round here and stopping to sit for a bit, maybe watch some croquet on the lawn....






Amazing patch of clover underneath a tree.


This tree looked like it had been dusted with blusher.


A sea of ferns that looked like a 1950s tropical pattern.


The spring garden


Post and gate inspiration.


The outside of the courtyard.


Rather cute glass house.


I think I definitely need some arches in my garden!


Ornamental herb bed


I don't know what this plant is but it was swarming with bees.


I thought these little fellas had cute faces looking up at me.


The lavender smelled amazing.


Cat mint, I've just bought some of this for my garden from rosy bee.


These looked like they had been spray painted the most bright purpley blue!



This is the house, rather modest in comparison to other nearby National Trust places like Castle Ward and Mount Stewart


Another nice spot for a bench.  Benches are the most important thing in a garden if you ask me - you need somewhere to sit back with a glass of pimm's to admire your hard work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment